Sunday, February 26, 2012

Aunt Sassy Cake

When I first saw the Aunt Sassy cake in the Baked book, I couldn't wait for the perfect occasion to make it! I love pistachios, and the honey vanilla butter sounded devine!  When my birthday rolled around, I decided it was time to bake this 3 layer beauty. The instructions are pretty straight forward, and the cake smelled delicious when I pulled them out of the oven.  The frosting came together just fine, though I was a bit concerned that the frosting took on more of a yellow hue than white as it looked in the book (but after 3 sticks of butter, what else should I expect?).  The frosting was also my favorite part of the recipe. Very light and fluffy with the sweetness of honey.  While the cake was delicious, I was disappointed that I couldn't really taste the pistachio. Maybe it was because I used shelled pistachios that had been opened the week before (though the pistachios didn't seem to lack flavor when eating one after shelling).  It tasted like a basic vanilla cake.  I really want to try to make this again with pre-shelled fresh pistachios and see if the results are different. 

No comments:

Post a Comment